Saturday, September 25, 2010

The Perfect Saturday: Breakfast and Urban Hiking

This morning I woke up to most most splendid blue sky. I love opening my eyes on a Saturday morning (often times after the persistent prodding of my cat) and looking up to see the blue of the sky peeking through the curtains above the bed. It is back-BLUE-after weeks now of the grey and rain of fall. I sat up and realized that the whole day was before us. So, we decided to forgo cleaning out our car or the basement and instead have breakfast downtown at the Stepping Stone Cafe, a place I've been wanting to try for awhile now. They are known for their "man-cakes," super-sized pancakes featured on an episode of "man vs. food." We hopped into our car and headed out into the magnificent day. There is no better place to be in the world than a nice day in Portland. The sky is a perfect backdrop to the green hills. And, there is nothing more stunning than the pristine white views of Mt. Saint Helens, Mt. Hood and Mt. Adams protectively watching over the city like my cat watches me when I sleep. I never get tired of seeing them. We pulled up to the Stepping Stone Cafe, a place as charming as its name. It is nestled on the corner of Quimby slightly off of NW 23rd. It has a diner like feel, but with decorations a bit more quirky and unique. After a short wait, we were seated at our cozy red vinyl table. Our server welcomed us with two mugs of rich dark coffee, softened with a bit of cream. Although tempting, I decided to forgo the "man-cakes" and instead ordered something unusual for myself-cheese blintzes. Yes, three delicately folded crepes cradled a slightly sweet cheese filling; adorned also with fresh bananas, blueberries and a cloud of whip cream. John had some sort of egg dish, but I honestly don't remember what it was because I was so excited about my own! We enjoyed out dishes, sipping our coffee, slowly taking on our day-even though it was nearly noon already. Afterwards, we decided to do one of our  favorite activities on a beautiful day-urban hike. One of our great loves are the neighborhoods and houses in Portland. Living in the 'burbs, you just don't get the stunning views or the ornate porches and decks like you do in the city. Every house is so charming and unique; I feel like I'm walking in a cluster of little gingerbread houses. I walk by each one, just imaging what the people are like inside, what they do for a living and how they spend their Saturdays. I know that might sound creepy, but I am a dreamer, and although I am happy and content with my life, I can't help but wonder about the lives of others. I especially like the big windows in some of the houses, letting in the light of day. I try to picture myself cuddled up under a blanket under that window, drinking a cup of coffee, watching someone like myself wandering through my neighborhood. We meandered past the adorable Chapman school where kids played on the park equipment, couples basked in the sun on a blanket, and dogs pranced around chasing sticks. In the distance we could hear the cheers and shouts of a little league soccer game. Oh what comforting sounds! All the parents, cheering on their boys, visiting in the noon sunshine. It warms my heart to see community within a city and families enjoying the day together. I tell John that I can't believe some people live like this!; some of the views of the city and the mountains right outside their family room windows are so breathtakingly stunning that I can't believe they actually see that everyday. We often dream about the future and will talk about where we'd like to live someday. I have to say, NW 23rd area is my choice. It has the location, the views, the community and charm. I am in love.
I never want to come across discontent with where we live, but it is so fun to dream. We are silent for a moment, John and me. I think we are both pondering what could be someday. I turn to him and smile, grabbing his hand in mind. I am happy for just this moment. The moment in between what could be someday. The moment we are enjoying together on this beautiful Saturday day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment