Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Girls on one end; boys on the other

I always have to smile at the profound differences between male and female bonding. For example, last night my husband and I met some friends downtown for happy hour to celebrate a friend's birthday. Sitting at a high bar table, all eight of us were arranged by couples. All of a sudden I notice that all the male eyeballs are simoustainiously tracking something behind us, like a cat stalking a ball of yarn. It turns out that the enticing glow of the mega TV has snagged all their attention.
Meanwhile, the females are shouting at each other from across the table, trying to penerate the sudden outbursts of cheers. Finally, I suggest that perhaps we rearrange our seating-girls at one end, boys at the other, like "Jr. High" style. Sidenote: Isn't it interesting that in high schoool and college sitting next to the same gender would be our last option at a bar?! The chase is over I suppose. :) Anyhow, Once we resituate ourselves, communication becomes a lot easier (or atleast until a touchdown happens...) We talk about work; we talk about the probelems at work; we talk about the people at work; we talk about working out; we talk about the problems with working out; we talk about the people that we see working out; we talk about the Today show; we talk about the problems featured on the Today show; we talk about Merideth Vera's choice of shoes that morning...
Meanwhile, I turn to the guys, and now all six of them are completely turned around, transfixed on the movement behind us. They cheer. They groan. They yell something.
Two hours later, we leave the bar. Both my husband and I feel satisfied with the social interactions and bonding that has taken place among the table. Now don't get me wrong, I have to say that my husband is more of a natural extrovert than I am. But it is amusing to me that men can bond without words and women, well, let's just say "movie nights" are rarely times for silent viewing. I guess its good that God made us this way though. Could you imagine the schedules if two people tried to make weekly coffee dates? Actually, doesn't that make you smile thinking about walking into a Starbucks and seeing a table of men, sipping their skinny vanilla lattes and talking excitedly about the new book club choice?! Or how about a bunch of girls gathered around a TV, not saying a word except to the TV? I suppose that could happen with a bunch of girls, but I think someone would at least comment on the sports commentator's shoes!
Nonetheless, my husband is still my best friend and I'm glad I'm married to him. However, I am thankful for my gals too!!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment