Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Joys of Pumpkin Season!

Ah fall... we have such a love/hate relationship you and I.
I resent you because summer is over and the days are darker, and I know your evil cousin "winter" is approaching fast just around the corner. The rain starts to fall again, and it's so difficult to crawl out from under the warm covers and step into the chilly air when the alarm clock sounds. The rigor of school and schedules start again, and football holds the television hostage.

However, I love you because there is a crispness in the air that goes perfectly with my coffee. The morning light reflects off the changing leaves and creates a soft glow. And I don't feel guilty for spending an entire evening curled up on the couch with a book. But I think perhaps the reason I really love you  is because of pumpkin!
Yes, pumpkin season officially started for me last night when I purchased my first two cans!  There is only a very small window during the year when pumpkin is a wonderfully satisfying treat. It's one of those flavors you pass over throughout the rest of the year, but is so comforting when the weather begins to turn. A pumpkin spice latte in April? Pumpkin soup in July? Nope, that doesn't sound appealing at all. But when the first tip of a leaf begins to soak up red or orange, I suddenly have a taste for it.  It literally makes me giddy to see the many varieties of pumpkin infused food that begin to pop up all over...including in my kitchen! Last night I cracked open my jars of pumpkin and went to work. Every year I make the mistake of trying the pumpkin on the spoon. If you haven't done this, pumpkin without sugar or spices is not the best taste. It has the texture of baby food and the taste is earthy and bland. By the end of pumpkin season, I have to say that I have usually severely o.d on it. Oh what joy my pumpkin brings! Do you have any great pumpkin recipes that you bring out this time of year???
Creating joy from pumpkin!
The finished masterpiece...pumpkin biscotti! Perfect with a pumpkin spice latte on a chilly pumpkin day,

No comments:

Post a Comment