Monday, September 20, 2010

The Moments in Between

Sitting at dinner the few weeks ago, my husband and I started talking about what we were going to do after dinner. We decided to walk about downtown and perhaps get some gelato. Eating gelato, we discussed what tomorrow held. The appointments. The plans. The agendas. The schedules. "Why don't we just enjoy this last bit of Sunday before we tackle Monday," suggested my wise, wonderful husband. Hmmmm...that made sense to me. Why should we give up half of our carefree weekend thinking about the stress of next week, when we can't do a thing about it right now anyway!
I guess I have always sort of been like this, but I don't think I am alone.

"Happy 29th Birthday, sweetie....Just think, next year, you'll be 30!"

"Only two more weeks until vacation..."

"If I could just get through today, then everything will be easier..."

I think Americans are particularly susceptible to "living for the weekend" mentality. We are planners, schedulers, producers. We have appointments to make, goals to attain and people to connect with. Luckily we have our smart phones to remind us that we need to be doing and thinking about something else than what we are currently doing and thinking about at this moment. I can't even being to tell you how many times I've been at dinner or in between sleep and consciousness when an electronic ding suddenly reminded me that I should be thinking or doing something else!

Why are we always looking to the "next big thing?"

I certainly think it is responsible to plan for the future. I think it is exciting to have dreams and goals. But, what I really realized recently was that life happens in the moments in between our big plans, goals and seasons. I think that often times I put my life on hold until "that big next event" or "that next season" in life. I do trust that God has a plan for me and my life. I believe that we need to be responsible stewards with the resources and jobs He gives us. However, I do believe that God's gift to us is simply living in the moment, lingering in the now, and enjoying the small joys he places before us.
Furthermore, this blog is being created to help me do just that. This is a blog dedicated to life-the moments in between our big plans.
These moments are when life actually happens.
The moment in now.
And it is passing quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment